I have decided that I need much more visual imagry before I make any further decisions on what way I want my images to go.
One persons work that I absolutely love and think is a good reaearch point is John Hilliard.
"Camera Recording its Own Condition" (7 Apertures, 10 Speeds, 2 Mirrors) 1971.
This series consists of photos of Hilliard's own camera, taken using mirrors and different combinations of aperture and shutter speed. Hilliard's fingers can be seen operating the camera. Photography is both the medium and the subject of the work, giving not a picture of 'reality', but different versions of reality. (tate description)

confusion - 1997
The thing I absolutely love about Hilliards work is he uses two things in his images, he uses either mirrors or he uses depth of field fantastically and these give images real powerful views.
The confusion piece above draws you into this sense of connectiuon between the foreground and the background, but with the surrounding areas blurred it means that the characters are isolated and become your centre focus. Using light the billboard highlights the woman and the shape of her stance.
Using the light above the male figure, his main features are hidden in the shadows, which is almost considering the point of something lurking in the shadows but you can just about make outthe form and part of a face. Even though these people aren't standing together using all these techniques, it connects them by highlighting and drawing your eye to the foreground.


No comments:
Post a Comment